Linda Hall Library of Science, Engineering, & Technology
Back to the LHL Home Page | Back to the Exhibitions Home Page

New Eddystone

The New Eddystone Lighthouse

Centuries of Civil Engineering

Edwards, E. Price
The Eddystone Lighthouses (New and Old): An account of the Building, and general arrangements, of the new tower.
London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1882.
Water Supply
Image Index


In 1882 John Smeaton’s lighthouse of 1759 was replaced by a new tower, constructed on a nearby rock. There was nothing wrong with Smeaton’s structure – it had withstood well the batterings of the sea for 120 years – but the rock on which it had been built was beginning to erode away beneath it. The new structure, designed and erected by James Douglass, was twice as tall as the original, and four times as massive.

Smeaton’s lighthouse would shortly be partially dismantled, with the lower half left in place and the upper half re-erected at Plymouth as a monument. This view shows the two still together, with the Douglass lighthouse in the foreground, and Smeaton’s structure behind it.


Home Credits Order Brochure
Copyright©2002 Linda Hall Library, 5109 Cherry St., Kansas City, Missouri 64110-2498 USA. (816) 363-4600.  If you have questions or comments about this site, send mail to the exhibition curator or to webmaster.  For reference questions, send mail to Reference or to the exhibition curator.  Most recent site update: October 28, 2002